Okay, I tried to keep my mouth shut about this.
But after watching this video clip of Geraldo blaming Trayvon Martin's death on the hoody he was wearing, I had to say something... (click here to watch the Geraldo link)
1. There is HELLA crap going on trying to smear Tray's image. Google a few of them. Some blogs are trying to photoshop pictures and insinuate he was a drug dealer or a gangster.
2. Even with NO evidence of a history of violence, false records have been published of Tray "assaulting" a bus driver.
3. Zimmerman's friend blames Trayvon for "not telling Z he was staying with his parents".
4. Zimmerman made REPEATED calls to the police WHENEVER he saw a black person in his neighborhood.
5. The 911 recording clearly plays Zimmerman calling Trayvon a "coon".
6. I agree with what President Obam said. If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon.
7. Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum can SUCK IT for trying to undermine Obama's comment and saying he shouldn't play the "Race card". It's a little too late for that. The "Race card" was played when Zimmerman pulled the trigger.
(I could go on and on about this).
But the fact of the matter is this:
Even if Trayvon was a drug dealing gangster (which he wasn't), even if he had a history of violence (which he doesn't), even if he didn't tell Zimmerman where he was staying (which he didn't have to because Z was just a neighborhood watchman).
-- even if all these factors were true-- it IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM-- justifies the killing of an UNARMED 17 year old boy who was PROVOKED to defend himself.
The fact that Trayvon was black almost (mind you, almost) doesn't matter. But I'm not that naive.
I am a black man in America. With a sweet tooth and a hoody jacket--I would have been Trayvon Martin.
Hell. Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea are two of my favorite things to snack on and smuggle into the movie theater.
God forbid I want to get my Midnight Snack on and get gunned down outside of Walgreens because of my hoody.
So yeah, that's my little rant on it.
Zimmerman's only legal standing is the "Stand Your Ground" law where:
A person may use deadly force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without an obligation to retreat first. In some cases, a person may use deadly force in public areas without a duty to retreat. Under these legal concepts, a person is justified in using deadly force in certain situations and the "stand your ground" law would be a defense or immunity to criminal charges and civil suit.
But when you disobey orders from the police to stay in your vehicle, you follow an innocent teenager and provoke a fight with deadly consequences--how the HELL does that justify a "Stand Your Ground" situation?
So I pose this question to congress, Zimmerman, and everyone else who blames Trayvon's death on his "hoody"
...Stand WHAT Ground?
(in my next post: my top 12 favorite porn stars)