Monday, September 17, 2012

Tambourine Player

I think some stereotypes hold validation.


According to Tyler Perry (insert pun here), UrbandDictionary.com, and almost any black baptist church in the U.S. of A--

A "Tambourine Player" is a feminine acting man, one who usually directs the church choir.

(Granted, any grown man in church bopping a tambourine MUST expect attention)

Click Here and see what I'm talking about.

Back when I lived down south, the term was derogatory, but it didn't really matter.

I CLEARLY remember my old choir director getting into full-blown ARGUMENTS with other, um, Tambourine Players, when our churches would fellowship and combine choirs or whatever.

I guess even though it is derogatory, it is a term that is embraced by those brave ones who can't help but be their natural selves.

--------------------------
Hell, here I am up north, hearing the same stuff. I'm at a very young church (we'll be 5 years old next month) and my First Lady has been having the hardest of times forming a solid choir. She'll get one together for a good 3 or 4 months and after that, it's just the Praise Team again.

I said all of that to say: earlier today, at The Cracker Barell (is mine the only church that goes to eat in between services?)

I hear First Lady leaning over to one of the Praise Team singers, saying

"I wish we could get just ONE GOOD Tambourine Player to get us a choir together", laughter ensued.

I think it's a double-standard that gays are stigmatized in the church, yet, where would Black Churches be without a decent Tambourine Player to "usher the congregation into glory"?, as the self-proclaimed "deep" saints say.
---------------------------------

-_Cogito






















4 comments:

  1. Cogito I was laughing out loud reading this -- hilarious.

    I never heard of this term. Learn something new everyday.

    Oh, and the tambourine player in the video was cute. Nice booty.

    But not as nice a booty as models 1,4,5, 6 and 7! Cake, cake, cake, cake, cake!

    Immanuel
    www.dlconfessionssequel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..I live in NC and had never heard the term Tambourine Player. However, upon reflection is certainly applies to our choir director!!! Tambourine, fights and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Immanuel-- you GOTTA love them pics!

    @ Anonymous -- they out there everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THOSE PICS!!!! Cogito you are speaking truth. They preach against gays and stigmatize us but we are the ones who make the church wha tit is today. hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete